Each year, the Archdiocese of Seattle celebrates Simbang Gabi with a Mass and celebration. Watch a video of this year's event, which took place at St. James Cathedral in Seattle on Dec. 13.
"Night Mass," as Simbang Gabi translates is a series of nine days of Masses. The tradition began during the early days of Spanish rule over the Philippines. Today in the Philippines, the novena concludes on the morning of Christmas Eve at a Mass sometimes called Misa de Gallo, which is Spanish for “Rooster’s Mass.”
Here's a recipe to participate in the Filipino celebration.
- Archdiocese’s ethnic communities bring their languages, customs to Mass
- Philippine church leaders feel powerless to stop extrajudicial killings
- After job-swap show, Irish street cleaner pledges help to Filipinos
- Wanted: More exorcists to meet demands in Philippines
- Philippine trip highlights pope's tenacity, attention to details