Pope Francis expressed his sadness at the death of Archbishop Emeritus Raymond G. Hunthausen, who died July 22 at age 96, in a letter sent to Archbishop J. Peter Sartain by the apostolic nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Christophe Pierre.
The pope offered “heartfelt condolences to [Archbishop Sartain] and to all the clergy, religious and lay faithful” of the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Read the whole letter below.
- Pope Francis: To pray, begin with humility
- Archbishop Sartain: U.S. bishops share ‘serious desire to heal, purify and strengthen the Church’
- Seattle bishops' Thanksgiving greeting: 'We are most grateful to you'
- ‘There is nothing more powerful than the humility of God’
- Dedication of remodeled St. Michael Church awes parishioners