To promote healing in the wake of the abuse crisis in the church, Archbishop J. Peter Sartain, along with auxiliary bishops Eusebio Elizondo and Daniel Mueggenborg, will lead a public prayer service at St. James Cathedral October 4 at 7 p.m. “It will be an opportunity for us bishops to express our sorrow and contrition for the scourge of sexual abuse in the Church,” the archbishop said, “and to pray for the healing of all those who have been victims, as well as the Church herself.”
October 4 will also mark the first day of an archdiocesan Novena of Prayer to Mary, Mother of the Church, to ask her intercession for the church. The novena will end the weekend of October 13–14.
Find the novena prayer and a flyer for the prayer service below. Sign up to receive daily emails for the novena.
- Receive Communion every time as if it were the first time, pope says
- Pope: Theology begins with sincere dialogue, not ‘conquering spirit’
- Response to abuse crisis looms large at bishops’ spring meeting
- Bishops to consider 10-point plan to acknowledge ‘episcopal commitments’
- Proposed protocol outlines restrictions on bishops facing claim of abuse