Kennedy Catholic High School
“A true servant leader,” Sophie spends time before school holding the door for others, and after school tutoring, volunteering and participating in clubs, said campus minister Clare Ettensohn — including student government, National and Spanish honor societies, Lady Lancers, St. Vincent de Paul and the lacrosse team. A member of Burien’s St. Francis of Assisi Parish, she also helps lead school retreats.
Pope John Paul II High School
A six-time team captain in cross-country, basketball and baseball, Hieu is “universally admired as a leader,” both on the field and in the classroom, said athletic director Anthony Herness. A member of the National Honor Society, he maintains a 3.98 GPA while working at his family’s restaurant. He is also active in the Vietnamese Eucharistic Youth Movement and at Olympia’s St. Michael Parish.
In each edition through June, Northwest Catholic will honor students for their achievements and contributions in the classroom, in their extracurricular activities, and in their churches and communities. At the end of the school year, two Students of the Year will be selected to receive $1,000 Northwest Catholic scholarships.
Northwest Catholic - January/February 2017
- Archdiocese announces members of Special Taskforce for Catholic Schools
- Archdiocese announces fall plans for Catholic schools
- Father Ronald Nuzzi to chair Catholic schools taskforce on ministerial covenant
- Seattle Nativity School moving to new quarters at St. Edward Parish
- Catholic high school graduations go virtual or reschedule for summer