Pope Francis expressed his sadness at the death of Archbishop Emeritus Raymond G. Hunthausen, who died July 22 at age 96, in a letter sent to Archbishop J. Peter Sartain by the apostolic nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Christophe Pierre.
The pope offered “heartfelt condolences to [Archbishop Sartain] and to all the clergy, religious and lay faithful” of the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Read the whole letter below.
- Praising God for gift of creation leads to respect for it, pope says
- Pope mourns death of French patient after doctors withhold care
- South America’s Amazon: culturally diverse, globally important
- Migrants are people, not just a social issue, pope says at Mass
- Pope applauds Trump, Kim meeting in North Korea