Pope Francis expressed his sadness at the death of Archbishop Emeritus Raymond G. Hunthausen, who died July 22 at age 96, in a letter sent to Archbishop J. Peter Sartain by the apostolic nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Christophe Pierre.
The pope offered “heartfelt condolences to [Archbishop Sartain] and to all the clergy, religious and lay faithful” of the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Read the whole letter below.
- Pope at pallium Mass: World needs more prayer, less complaints
- Christians called to intercede for, not condemn, others, pope says
- Eucharist heals, gives strength to serve others, pope says
- Pope calls USCCB president to express solidarity, support amid turmoil in U.S.
- Vatican announces Laudato Si’ anniversary year