Pope Francis expressed his sadness at the death of Archbishop Emeritus Raymond G. Hunthausen, who died July 22 at age 96, in a letter sent to Archbishop J. Peter Sartain by the apostolic nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Christophe Pierre.
The pope offered “heartfelt condolences to [Archbishop Sartain] and to all the clergy, religious and lay faithful” of the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Read the whole letter below.
- Not ruling on apparitions, pope allows pilgrimages to Medjugorje
- Pope issues new norms on mandatory abuse reporting, bishop accountability
- Catholic minorities can still change the world, pope says at audience
- After offering instruction, pope gives first Communion to 245 children
- Lake Stevens parishioners celebrate dedication of new church